Tomb of Washington, Mt. Vernon, 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 300 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the tomb at Mount Vernon. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the front of the card reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mount Vernon Views. A printed label affixed the reverse reads: Tomb of Washington, Mt. Vernon. The ante room to the Vault is about 12 feet square, and here are seen the Sarcophagi; the one on the right containing the remains of George Washington, and that on the left, those of Martha, his wife. It was built in accordance with the directions contained in Washington's will, to which his remains were removed in 1831. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington, D. C. Only authorized publisher of Mt. Vernon Views.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 -- Tomb Subject Source: Local sources