Old Family Kitchen at Mount Vernon, 1880
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the kitchen and colonnade connecting to the Mansion. Nearby is a gentleman standing in the juncture of the south lane and circle drive. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the stereograph mount reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 309 9th St., Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mount Vernon Views. The reverse of the stereograph has an adhered printed label - Old Family Kitchen at Mount Vernon, Connected with the Mansion by the arched Colonnade in which the daily meals of General Washington and family were prepared. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington, D. C. A stamp with blue ink reads: Copyright 1880 by the Mount Vernon Association.
6 15/16 in. x 3 3/8 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Colonnades Subject Source: Local sources
- Kitchen Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va. : Estate) Subject Source: Naf
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States