East View from the Mansion, Mt. Vernon, 1878-1883
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Publisher, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view from the piazza looking east towards the Potomac River. The view shows a depression in the grass between two small mounds and a small tree with a wooden fence is visible at left. Mounted on orange board. The cardboard mount has been bent down the middle. The photographer's imprint on the stereograph mount reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 309 9th St. Washington, D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mount Vernon Views. The reverse of the stereograph has an adhered printed label - East View from the Mansion, Mt. Vernon, Showing the Potomac River and the Maryland shore in the distance. N. G. Johnson, Photographer, 426 7th St., Washington, D. C.
6 7/8 in. x 3 3/8 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- East Lawn Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Potomac River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States