BW-34 - Mrs. Washington's Room [South Lumber Room], c. 1933
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Photographers primarily include staff members and contract photographers. The collection spans the 1930s to the 2000s and includes analog material made up of a variety of sizes of film negatives providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, restoration, and changes throughout the estate.
- c. 1933
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 30 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on film negative sizes and types.)
From the Collection: 5 Linear Feet : Unprocessed material
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Existence and Location of Originals
Negative destroyed, proof only
BW-34 - Mrs. Washington's Room, view of Mansion's south lumber room, once believed to have been occupied by Mrs. Washington upon George Washington's death and formally titled 'Mrs. Washington's Bed Room or Chamber.' Later determined that Mrs. Washington resided in a different chamber on the third floor of the Mansion.