8443. South Court, from the Rotunda, Fine Arts Building, Columbian Exposition., 1893, 1893
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Copyright: 1893
- Kilburn, B. W. (Benjamin West), 1827-1909 (Photographer, Person)
- Ball, Thomas, 1819-1911 (Sculptor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Statue of George Washington by Thomas Ball on display in the Fine Arts Building during the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. The sculpture was commissioned by Mr. Edward Searles of Methuen, Massachusetts and was sculptured in Italy. At the close of the exposition, the statue was moved to the Searles Estate. Mounted on a peach colored board. The title is preprinted on the front of the mount. Copyright 1893, photograph and published by B. W. Kilburn, Littleton, N. H. Reverse of the stereograph includes a stamp 'The Treadwell Collection.'
7 in. x 3 1/2 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
- World’s Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, Ill.) Subject Source: Naf