Charles H. Baldwin, 1860-1870
Scope and Contents
Collection of 80 photographs which belonged to Miss Sarah C. Tracy (later Mrs. Upton H. Herbert), resident secretary at Mount Vernon during the Civil War years. The pictures most of which are cartes de visite were collected by Miss Tracy; some were obviously presented to her, after the fashion of the day, and are inscribed. Besides the one of herself there are three of Mount Vernon which must date from the years of her residence. Others include Leeds Castle, the English seat of Thomas, Lord Fairfax; the President's House at the Soldiers' Home, Washington, D.C.; the Milwaukee residence of Mrs. Mitchell, Vice-Regent for Wisconsin; General Winfield Scott; General George B. McClellan; W. W. Corcoran of Washington, D.C.; George W. Riggs, Treasurer of the Association; Lord Fairfax; Prince Napoleon; Louis de Geofroy (of the French Legation, who accompanied Price Napoleon to Mount Vernon in August, 1861), inscribed; and Miss Nettie Chase, daughter of Hon. Salmon P. Chase of the Lincoln Cabinet. Also included are pictures of others, chiefly celebrated figures of the nineteenth century; these were probably acquired through gift or purchases, and not presented by the subjects themselves.
Gift of Miss Tracy's great-niece, Miss Caro Arnold of Montclair, N. J., 1953
- C. R. Rees and Bro. (Richmond, Va.) (Photographer, Organization)
From the Collection: 80 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Albumen print on carte de visite mount, head-and-shoulders portrait of Charles H. Baldwin, in Union uniform, commander of the USS Vanderbilt, vol. 4. 605. Photographer's stamp on the reverse reads: C. R. Rees & Bro. Scientific & Artistic Photographers, Cor. 8th & Main Sts. Opposite Spotswood Hotel, Richmond Va.
2 3/8 in. x 4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Armed Forces--Officers Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Baldwin, Charles H., 1822-1888
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cartes de visite Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms