Washington Monument, Richmond, Va.
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Selden & Co. (Publisher, Organization)
- Crawford, Thomas, 1813 or 1814-1857 (Sculptor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of equestrian statue of George Washington by Thomas Crawford in Capitol Square, Richmond, Virginia. Crawford was commissioned by the state of Virginia in 1849. Figures at the base are Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, Meriwether Lewis, Patrick Henry, George Mason and William Nelson. Mounted on yellow board. Part of a series titled, Stereoscopic Views in Richmond and Vicinity. Selden & Co. Publishers of Photograph & Stereoscopic Views, Dealers in Photograph, Albums, Cartes de Visite, Stereoscopes, Stationery, Fancy Articles, &c., No. 814 Main Street, Opposite Spotswood Hotel, Richmond, Va. Duplicate copies of this Picture mailed free on receipt of Forty Cents.
6 3/4 in. x 3 1/4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Capitol Square (Richmond, Va.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States