View from Old brick Barn to the North arched Gate, Showing the Butler's House, Old Family Kitchen and Supts. Office., 1880
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- Johnson, N. G. (Newton G.) (Photographer, Person)
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the south lane and outbuildings at Mount Vernon with a man in the foreground. Note the corn crib built on the coach house site. The structure was removed and replaced with the restored coach house in 1894. Mounted on orange board. The photographer's imprint on the front of the card reads, N. G. Johnson, Photographer, No. 317 Pa. Avenue, Washington D. C. Only Authorized Publisher of Mt. Vernon Views. A preprinted affixed to the reverse reads, View from Old Brick Barn to the North arched Gate, Showing the Butler's House, Old Family Kitchen and Supts. [Superintendent's] Office.
6 15/16 in. x 3 7/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- South Lane Subject Source: Local sources
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States