No. 634--Mount Vernon, Va., c. 1858
Scope and Contents
Views of Mount Vernon spanning more than 100 years. The Robert Waldsmith Collection consists of approximately 315 stereographs and cabinet cards by Alexander Gardner, N. G. Johnson, Luke D. Dillon, and others. Highlights of the collection include: several west front views of the Mansion, including the earlist known one by Frederick Langenheim, circa 1856; an early view of the tomb, circa 1857, and a collection of Washington statues and buildings honoring the first President.
- c. 1858
- Stacy, George, 1831-1897 (Publisher, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 236 stereographs and 61 cabinet cards Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Stereoscopic view of the east front of the Mansion from the southeast. Part of a series "American Scenery - War Views." Shows the dilapidated house with ship masts holding up the piazza roof. Mounted on yellow board. Publisher attribution based on provenance.
6 3/4 in. x 3 1/4 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stereographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States