East Parlor, Mount Vernon, circa 1888
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- circa 1888
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Cabinet card of the northeast corner of the little parlor. Photographer unknown. Printed label on reverse read: East Parlor, Mount Vernon, Showing the Harpsichord, the wedding present of Washington to Miss Nellie Curtis (sp.), his adopted daughter, when she married Col. Lewis; also the old Flute used by Washington. The room is now furnished by the State of Ohio, so as to appear as it was in Washington's time. Copyright by the Mount Vernon Association.
Overall: 6 1/2 in. x 4 1/4 in. Photograph: 5 7/16 in. x 3 11/16 in.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cabinet photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Card photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Little Parlor Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion Interiors Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon (Va.) Subject Source: Naf
- Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Copyright holder, Organization)
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States