West front of the Mount Vernon Mansion, June 1859
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- June 1859
- Walker, Lewis E. (Lewis Emory), 1822-1880 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
3 Photographic Prints
Language of Materials
Albumen print mounted to cardboard. View of the west front of the Mansion taken from the bowling green. Several unidentified people are posed in photograph - one man in the foreground, two men on the Mansion circle and a man and woman standing in the central doorway. A sign propped up on a stump near the hitching post next to the kitchen reads, 'L. E. Walker...' Part of a series of three photographs taken the same day.
Overall cardboard mount: 15 in. x 11 3/4 in. Photograph: 13 in. x 9 1/2 in.