Mount Vernon Railway Station and Dining Room
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Majority of material found in 1850-2010
- Associates' Photography and News Service (Photographer, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photograph of the Mount Vernon electric railway station. The building also offered dining for visitors. A handwritten note on the reverse reads, "Mount Vernon Station was the terminal for the electric car line from Alexandria and Washington (courtesy Associates' Photography and News Service."
7 1/8 in. x 5 in.
- Washington, Alexandria and Mount Vernon Electric Railway Subject Source: Local sources