South Lane - with Closed Coach House Gate, April 13, 1938
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- April 13, 1938
- Wall, Charles Cecil, 1903-1995 (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photograph of the south lane looking south with the coach house or south lane gate closed at the end of the lane. View includes adjacent outbuildings - smokehouse, wash house, coach house and stable.
5 3/4 in. x 3 7/16 in.
Accession number "RP-2226 ; Photo-6686" appears on the reverse of the image.