South Lane , circa 1900
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- circa 1900
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Tinted photomechanical print of the south lane looking north towards the Mansion circle. A handwritten note on the reverse reads, "gift of Edith Sprouse 2/22/81." The print is mounted to cardstock.
Overall: 6 13/16 in. x 5 5/16 in. Image: 4 3/4 in. x 3 3/16 in.
- Circle Storehouse Subject Source: Local sources
- Coach House Subject Source: Local sources
- Kitchen Subject Source: Local sources
- Mansion exterior Subject Source: Local sources
- Smokehouse Subject Source: Local sources
- South Lane Subject Source: Local sources
- Stable Subject Source: Local sources
- Wash House Subject Source: Local sources