Wash House and Servants' Quarters, July 1933
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- July 1933
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photograph of the south lane looking north. The wash house can be seen in the center of the image and the smokehouse and circle storehouse are visible on the left of the photograph. The image is printed in reverse.
10 in. x 8 in.
Accession number "RP-2159 ; Photo-6622"appears on the reverse of the image.
- Circle Storehouse, Clerk's Quarters and Paint Cellar Subject Source: Local sources
- Smokehouse Subject Source: Local sources
- South Lane Subject Source: Local sources
- Wash House Subject Source: Local sources
Part of the Photo Archives of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association Repository
P.O. Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121 United States