Temple of Fame, Arlington National Cemetery, 1920-1929
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- Majority of material found within 1920-1929
- From the Collection: Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 89 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Black and white photograph of Temple of Fame in the south flower garden at Arlington House (the Robert E. Lee Memorial) in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia, in the United States. Built in 1884 from marble salvaged from the Old Patent Office Building demolition, it replaced the rotting (but original) wooden arbor in the center of what was once Robert E. Lee's flower garden. It was demolished in 1967.
5 5/8 in. x 3 3/8 in.