Upper Garden with North Garden House, April 1932
Scope and Contents
The Historical Photograph Collection is largely comprised of materials created by or for the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. Some of the earliest photographs of the estate were created and sold to visitors by the Association as a means of income. Those efforts helped to establish an important collection of 19th century views. The collection spans the 1850s to 2000s and includes over 140 linear feet of analog material providing a visual history of the Mansion, outbuildings, tombs, grounds, events, visitors, collection objects, personnel, and changes throughout the estate.
- April 1932
- Abbott, Harold T. (Photographer, Person)
Biographical / Historical
Building formerly referred to as "schoolhouse," even though there is no evidence that this building was used for such a purpose.
From the Collection: 147 Linear Feet (Variety of container sizes based on photograph sizes and material types. Over-sized items are housed in drawers.)
Language of Materials
Sepia tone photo of the north view of the Upper Garden. Includes view of north garden house. Front of photograph includes text that states "Looking Northwest showing schoolhouse." Building is erroneously identified as schoolhouse.
4 in. x 3 in.