[Yorktown Campaign] Map no 1. Carte Generale de l'isle de New York et des environs. Map no 2. Reconnaissance Geometrique des Ouvrages du Nord de L'isle de New York faite les 21 et 22 Juillet 1781. With an accompanying manuscript, Réflexions Sur L'attaque de Newyork, approximately 1781-1782
Scope and Contents
This collection contains approximately 300 rare printed maps, unique manuscript maps, and published texts collected by Richard H. Brown, which pertain to the American Revolutionary War era.
- Creation: approximately 1781-1782
- From the Collection: Faden, William, 1749-1836 (Person)
- From the Collection: Korn, Christoph Heinrich, 1726-1783 (Person)
- From the Collection: Simcoe, John Graves, 1752-1806 (Person)
- From the Collection: Heiden, Christian Friedrich von der (Person)
- From the Collection: Keulen, Gerard van (1678-1726) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
1 Sheets : 1 manuscript map; 1 collection of bound manuscript pages ; Map: 63 x 40 cm. Manuscript: 31 x 20 cm.
Language of Materials
Client reference #1 ADD, 2 ADD; WAG #289342
Map: Christie's, 5 December 2017, lot 8. Manuscripts: Christie's, 5 December 2017, lot 9. Provenance: François-Jean de Beauvoir, Marquis de Chastellux (1734 -1788)
Map: Several spots of light soiling, pinhole at fold intersection. Manuscript: Several pages removed, partly disbound.
Unknown place of publication : Unknown publisher, approximately 1781-1782