A plan of the attack of Fort Sulivan, near Charles Town in South Carolina : by a squadron of His Majesty's ships, on the 28th of June 1776, with the disposition of the King's land forces, and the encampments and entrenchments of the rebels from the drawings made on the spot, 1776
Scope and Contents
This collection contains approximately 300 rare printed maps, unique manuscript maps, and published texts collected by Richard H. Brown, which pertain to the American Revolutionary War era.
- Faden, William, 1749-1836 (Author, Person)
- Faden, William, 1749-1836 (Publisher, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
1 Sheets : 1 map : hand colored ; 28 x 38 cm.
Language of Materials
Client reference #27; WAG #289162
McGowan Book Company, 25 July 1994.
Scale [ca.1:26,000] ; Depth shown by soundings. Inset: Plan of the platform in Sulivans Fort / by Lt. Colonel Thos. James of the Rl. Rt. of Artillery. Shows British squadron including names of vessels, esp. "bridge of boats" at Hetheral pt.", rebel camps, and vegetation. Below lower margin: "London. Engrav'd & Publish'd according to Acto of Parliament Aug.t 10 th. 1776 by Wm. Faden corner of St. Martins Lane Charing Cross." Includes description of symbols for where the Actoeon and the Sphinx were to be Stationed. Third state of the map with a single "bridge of boats" between Hetheral Pt. and the island. Engraved by Wm. Faden.
Created / Published
London : Wm. Faden, 1776
- Fort Moultrie (S.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fort Sullivan (S.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fortification Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Special Collections at The George Washington Presidential Library at Mount Vernon Repository
PO Box 3600
Mount Vernon VA 22121