Subseries 4.7. Lawrence Washington (1854-1920), 1872 - 1920
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence, legal documents, financial records, and other documents related to John Augustine Washington III and his son Lawrence, as well as his granddaughters Anne and Patty. The bulk of the correspondence series are letters sent to John Augustine Washington III 1840-1860. They deal with family affairs and the management of various family plantations, including Mount Vernon. The late-nineteenth and twentieth century papers are divided into subject files, largely related to the gift and sale of Washington family relics owned by John Augustine’s descendants.
- Creation: 1872 - 1920
- From the Collection: Alexander, Hannah Lee Washington, 1811-1881 (Person)
- From the Collection: Alexander, Judith Ball Blackburn, 1796-1866 (Person)
- From the Collection: Alexander, William Fontaine, 1811-1862 (Person)
- From the Collection: Washington, Anne Madison, 1882-1966 (Person)
- From the Collection: Washington, John Augustine, III, 1821-1861 (Person)
- From the Collection: Washington, Lawrence, 1854-1920 (Person)
- From the Collection: Washington, Patty Willis, 1880-1971 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research during scheduled appointments. Researchers must complete the Washington Library’s Special Collections and Archives Registration Form before access is provided. The library reserves the right to restrict access to certain items for preservation purposes.
From the Collection: 4.25 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials